1. Be ProACTIVE. Happen to your health. Do not let life happen to you. The decision to sit or get fit is solely your decision. Begin being proactive through activity. Engage in no less than 30 minutes of activity. (walking, weights, running, cycling, exercise class, etc.) EVERY DAY.
2. Begin with the end in mind. WHY do you want to be healthy? Your why is the end goal. Here is my WHY-
- I want to live healthy so I don't just survive, but thrive!
- I want to be a powerful role-model to others
- I want the ability to say 'YES' and 'NO' be on my terms, not my health's
3. Put first things first. #1- MOVE. Adding movement to your life EVERY DAY is priority numero uno. Success and sustainability are more likely if you start with increased activity. No less than 30 minutes EVERY DAY. Keep the main thing the main thing and keep moving.
4. Think win-win. If you think win-win you will be thin-thin. (Sorry, couldn't resist. Thin is NOT the focus, health is, but I couldn't resist a good rhyme.) Win-win is combining efforts to maximize your health.
- Mowing the lawn (requires a push-mower)
- Cleaning the house
- Eating a salad and skipping the dressing
- Talking on the phone while taking a walk
- Spending time with your kids through active activities
6. Synergize. Work together! Team member. Accountability partner. Friend. Spouse. Walking club. However you do it, you need it. Support. A group that holds each other accountable. Really accountable. Not the "it's okay" accountability. Someone that can tell you, NO! Guess what, you need to do the same for them. Use your combined interests and goals to multiple each other's health efforts.
7. Sharpen the Saw. Always room for improvement. NOBODY ever tries something new and masters it the first time. Begin where you are and improve along the way. Increase a 30 minute walk to 45 minutes. Add more intense exercise. Try fish without breading. Shop for a new vegetable. Learn, improve, and further your fit all along the way.
Which habit do you believe is most important? Why?
Share by posting a comment below